12 Days of Christmas – Sure Scraps a Lot Style!
Day 12 – Sunday, December 23, 2018
Well, we made it! Here we are on Day 12, the last day of my 12 Days of Christmas – Sure Scraps a Lot Style! It’s been a lot of fun putting these projects together and doing the research. I have especially enjoyed offering you some spectacular offers almost every day.
Deciding on the topic for our final day was tough. After looking through A LOT of ideas, I finally decided on Christmas Luminaries (or Lanterns). In my research, I came across many, many types of luminaries, not all paper, so I’ll start with those and then finish off with the paper ones.
Just a couple of tips before we start:
- If you need to add a bit of weight to your finished project, you can use sand or small stones in the bottom of your luminaries. It’s very easy to place the tea light/votive on top of that layer.
- If you are using paper luminaries, please remember to use the battery-operated tea lights/votives. We don’t need any fires over the Christmas Season.
Okay, here we go!
THE HISTORY OF LUMINARIES
I stumbled across an interesting article which talks about the origins of this tradition in the southern states in the US.
“The traditional luminary consists of a small brown paper bag, a small candle and a little bit of sand to weigh down the bottom of the bag in case of wind, etc. When entire neighborhoods participate in the tradition, it makes for an elaborate and beautiful visual display…people will come from miles around to drive through our neighborhood and enjoy the experience.
The luminary tradition is very popular in the Southwestern states of Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. Historically, the tradition started some time during 16th century as a Spanish tradition of lighting bonfires along roadsides and churchyards to help guide people to Midnight Mass on the final night of the celebration of “Las Posadas.”
To find out more, check out the website below:
Quite a variety of ideas to choose from!
Video Tutorial for Hand-Drawn Glass Jar Luminaries
A bit of a different take on the previous idea!
Jar Luminaries Using Epsom Salts!
You are going to love how easy these are and how gorgeous when they are finished!
Yup. You read right. 5 minutes!
LUMINARIES MADE WITH OTHER MATERIALS
Clay Christmas Tree Luminaries
You can easily save these and bring them out year after year.
Luminaries Using Up-cycled Materials
You will not believe how easy these are to make!
PAPER BAG LUMINARIES
Luminaria Bags in Red and White
This project makes use of punch-anywhere type punches.
Flame-Resistant Paper Bag Luminaries
Believe it or not, you can actually buy these on Etsy! They are made using white bags that are flame resistant, and come in a variety of patterns.
Paper Bag Luminaries with Clear Windows
These are quite different, and kid friendly!
Step-by-Step Luminary Instruction for Paper Lunch Bags
OTHER PAPER LUMINARIES
This is a very quick tutorial (under a minute!)
… and here is a link for the template: Luminary Template
Another kid friendly project, this one supplies a template and step-by-step instructions. The sample is done for Halloween, but it would be very simple to substitute Christmas/Winter themed images!
Paper Star Luminaries
and here is the template:
Download Template Pattern Here
Cricut-Cut Paper Luminaries
Not much to say about these beauties! If you have Cricut Design Space, you can access everything you need to create them. If you own the CTMH Cricut cartridge “Artbooking”, there is no end to the patterns that you can use to create your very own luminary.
Well that’s it for luminaries! I think you should find something you like within all of these ideas. One last thought: If you have young ones that are restless and don’t know what to do with themselves (already), put them to work making one of the ideas you see here.
Now for the fun part! Tonight’s extra-special offer is in two parts:
- If you have Design Space (and a Cricut Explore Air or Maker) you will love this. The digital Artbooking Collection is available to purchase on my website, and you can have a look at the details HERE. From now until MIDNIGHT, Monday night, December 24th I am offering you a whopping 40% discount on the advertised price!
- Also until MIDNIGHT, Monday night, December 24th, feel free to browse back through any or all 12 Days of Christmas – Sure Scraps a Lot Style! and revisit the special offer for that/those day(s). THEY ARE ALL IN EFFECT NOW!!! *To find past posts, from the Home page, scroll to the bottom. They are all listed on the left side*
The fine print:
- You have to order directly through me to get the extra special pricing. You CANNOT order on my shopping site!
- Shipping, as always, is calculated on the full retail price.
- You have to order by MIDNIGHT on Monday, December 24, 2018.
Finally, from our (Stephen, Valerie, Ahyoka & Yazhi) house to yours, we wish you and your families a very Merry Christmas and hope that your Christmas will be filled with joy, love, health, happiness, prosperity and new memories! Big Christmas Hugs to you all!